Department of Civil Engineering
Vision and Mission
The Vision and Mission of the department is to create a quality education, research and professional program designed to achieve specific goals, which is beneficial to the mankind. It would educate a new generation of civil engineers and promote a sense of leadership among them to meet the challenges of the future. The graduates will be able to create, develop and disseminate new knowledge, play a leadership role in promoting interdisciplinary education and research programs fundamental to solving the problems the future generation is destined to face.
Graduates of the Civil Engineering program at The University of Information Technology and Sciences should solve problems within a greater societal context by doing the following:
- Develop skill in the fundamental principles of mathematics and science as well as in the sub-disciplines in Civil Engineering
- Demonstrate skill in problem solving, design and interpretation of experiments, and operating within a team environment
- Achieve leadership position in technical and managerial area
- Uphold a strong awareness of ethical, social, environmental, and global concerns
- Remain engaged in life-long learning to meet the challenges facing the profession, including advanced degrees
- 25 Full-time faculty members including one Ph.D. (Dr. Afzal Ahmed, Associate Professor and Head) and one M.Sc. (Syed Jamal Uddin Ahmed, Senior lecturer). Remaining faculty members are continuing to the masters program at BUET.
- One visiting professor, Dr. Masahiko Nagai, a Japanese national currently teaching at Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
- 14 fully-equipped modern labs.
- Research collaboration with University of Tokyo, Asian Institute of Science and Technology, BUET, Islamic University of Technology (IUT) at Dhaka.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.